Southernmost Point in the US

Southernmost Point in the US

Desc.

Join us as we coast along the Atlantic for a father-daughter bike ride. We will be starting at mile zero in Key West, Florida. We plan to take on the Atlantic Coast one day at a time. We hope that this will be the perfect trip for getting in shape, learning new things, and experiencing America. We're pumped to get started and see where our bikes take us.

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Day 15


Day #15: Folkston, Georgia- Brunswick, Georgia (50 miles)

When we left the Western Motel this morning and stopped at a gas station across the street, we knew the next place to stop wouldn’t be for over 20 miles.  So we filled all our waters, got some Gatorade, ate a little breakfast, and made sure we had enough food.  Then, we hit the open road.  We passed the prison, which apparently people break out of all the time.  
D Ray James Prison

Then we were completely in the middle of nowhere.  The only sounds were the birds chirping, the snakes hissing, and our wheels turning.  We enjoyed the peace and quiet and did 10 miles pretty fast.


Along this road, we passed maybe 3 or 4 houses, and about 7 churches 10 mile stretch.  It seemed weird that there were more churches than people.  





After stopping to take a picture of a church sign, we pulled over for some water and chips.  After a few minutes, a dog started coming towards us.  I am really scared of dogs, but this one didn’t look too bad.  Then, another bigger one also started approaching us.  The two of them started circling me and my bike, eating a few of the chips we had dropped on the ground.  One of the dogs started trying to eat my handlebars, which I realize now looks kind of like a chew toy. 
My dad had a banana in his bag from yesterday, so he started peeling that to distract the dogs, and I started biking, probably faster than I have the whole trip – Strava had us going 35mph, which I could only do while being chased by rabid dogs.  We encountered a few more dogs throughout the rest of the day, but luckily none of them caught us.
Today we also passed a lot of road kill with vultures gnawing on the bones of unidentifiable animals.

When we saw Reed’s grocery, we had to stop.  On roads like this, you don’t know when the next place to stop will be.  We went inside, expecting that usual burst of air conditioning that you get when you walk into a Walgreens or Winn Dixie.  However, there was none. 

Instead, we were greeted by Mrs. Reed.  She saw my empty water bottle and immediately offered to fill it, and she told us where the restrooms were.  To get to the bathrooms you had to walk through Club Ponderosa, which I guess is the local party hotspot.  

Mrs. Reed informed us that there are about 1000 people in that town, they just all live in the woods, not right on the road we were riding on.  Not to worry, all 15 churches in that town fill up every Sunday. 

Mrs. Reed said something about a friend from New York, so I said, “Oh, are you from New York?” (even though from her accent it was pretty clear she wasn’t).  “Naw I’m from right where I’m standin!” she replied.  Turns out, she’s been sitting on that same stool in that same spot for the past 50 years.  She’s getting a little tired of that stool!  We thanked her for her hospitality, and kept going.  As much as we enjoyed our time there, I was definitely interested in finding a place with some AC to cool down.

On the way, we randomly saw this sign.  Good to know that people everywhere are standing with Israel!

About 5 miles later, we hit the Waverly Minimart.  We went in, got some ice cream, and enjoyed the air conditioning.  It was about 11:30, and my dad had a conference call at 12, so we decided to just hang out at this place for a while, since there was nowhere to stop for about 10 miles after.  I spotted a table towards the back of the store, so we headed there to sit down.

A man was sitting there cleaning a gun (just like we typically see in Connecticut) but he told us we could sit down too.  

Turns out his name was Reggie, he was from New Haven, CT, and he went to Hopkins Prep School, Colombia, NYU, and worked as a Psychologist at Bellvue Hospital in NYC.  He had lots of good stories and life lessons.  When we told him that we were headed to Brunswick for the night but that we were originally going to sleep in Nahunta, he laughed and told us the most recent thing to happen in Nahunta was a KKK rally.  Sounds like we really dodged a bullet there.


While my dad was on his call, I continued talkin (not a typo) to Reggie, and the local Sheriff and his Deputy who sat down to eat their lunch with us.  

As Reggie pointed out to me, Jay’s store is the closest thing they have to a mall.  It’s like their hangout spot.  When Reggie’s wife called for him to come home, Jay, the owner of the store/gas station, came and took his seat at the table.  It was nothing less than a reality show. 

Jay, the Sheriff and the Deputy talked to me about the trip, warned me about the snakes, and asked me if there was anywhere I’d rather be.  “Well considering I could be outside biking in the sun right now, I’m pretty happy to be in here with the air conditioning on,” I said.  One of the cops with an extreme southern accent shook his head a little and said, “Man I wish I was fishin right now.”

The two hours I spent sitting in that gas station were definitely informative, and I got some great life lessons.  Jay’s 3 tips for life: 1. Education, education, education!  2.  Always save money.  3.  Boys always lie and they are all buttholes. 

I thanked everyone for the lessons, and got back on the road.  We did about 15 miles more, and made it to Brunswick.  As we approached our hotel, La Quinta Inn and Suites, we saw a Waffle House, IHOP, and right next to our hotel, a Cracker Barrel.  I had heard of Cracker Barrel, but I’ve never been in one.  It was definitely a country store, from the rocking chairs outside with the music playing, to the menu where the word dumplings does not have the letter g on the end of it. 




We checked into our hotel which cost 62 dollars, although it seems like it’s worth a lot more than that after staying at the Western Motel last night.  We are still planning out tomorrow.  We might rent a car so we can spend Shabbat in Savannah, Georgia, a place with actual civilization.

Also, side note- we've been using Strava during our rides and from time to time we are in the top ten for certain segments (usually because less than ten people have been on that segment) and we get a trophy. Today, I got an email letting me know I was Queen of the Mountain, because we came in first for a certain segment.  Feels pretty good to be number 1!


Thanks for coming along for the ride!



No comments:

Post a Comment