Southernmost Point in the US

Southernmost Point in the US

Desc.

Join us as we coast along the Atlantic for a father-daughter bike ride. We will be starting at mile zero in Key West, Florida. We plan to take on the Atlantic Coast one day at a time. We hope that this will be the perfect trip for getting in shape, learning new things, and experiencing America. We're pumped to get started and see where our bikes take us.

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Day 11


Day #11: Vero Beach-Sebastian (19.1 miles, 6 of which were by car)

This morning we woke up early to try and get a lot done before it got too sunny out.  We did about 5 miles, stopped to drink some water, and then did about 5 more.  I really wasn’t feeling well, so I motioned for my dad to stop under a tree. 

The last time I threw up was on February 3rd, 2009.  I’m not one of those people who just gets a little nauseous and says they feel like they’re gonna throw up.  So when I told my dad I thought I was going to throw up, I knew I actually would.

While we sat there on the side of the street, multiple bikers and cars pulled over to see if we were ok.  It was really nice. 

After I threw up I felt a lot better, and we found on google maps that there was a CVS a few miles away.  I’ve reached a point in this trip where 3 or 4 miles really isn’t that much.  However, right after you throw up it’s a little bit harder. 

After about two and half miles, we reached a bridge that was pretty steep.  I did not feel up to it so my dad walked his bike across while I threw up some more, and then he walked my bike for me.  Once we crossed the bridge we were pretty close to the CVS, where we got some powerade and I chilled on their floor in the air conditioning.  We have learned that CVS’s have better air conditioning and better/cleaner bathroom facilities than the typical gas stations, and most people don’t realize that pharmacies have clean bathrooms. 

While sitting on the floor of CVS we tried looking up hotels for the night, but the closest one was about 6 miles away.  I did not feel like I could do that, and rain clouds were on the horizon, so my dad tried calling a taxi company.  The problem was they didn’t have room for our bikes in any of the cars.  Then, he called a limo service, which had bigger SUV type cars.  Luckily, our friend there, Jerry, was able to come get us and our bikes.  And it was pretty good timing too, because as he got us, it started raining and continued for the next few hours.  Unfortunately the ride was so short that we couldn’t enjoy the 300 channels of satellite tv that Jerry had in his car. 


I’m feeling much better now, thankfully.  Me and my dad are both really enjoying the luxurious Best Western, as opposed to the place we stayed for Friday and Saturday nights. 

Tomorrow were going to take a day to recuperate, by renting a car and taking a day trip to the Kennedy Space Center.  Then were going to head to Daytona Beach, and sleep there for the night before continuing with the bike ride.

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment