Southernmost Point in the US

Southernmost Point in the US

Desc.

Join us as we coast along the Atlantic for a father-daughter bike ride. We will be starting at mile zero in Key West, Florida. We plan to take on the Atlantic Coast one day at a time. We hope that this will be the perfect trip for getting in shape, learning new things, and experiencing America. We're pumped to get started and see where our bikes take us.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Day 4


Day #4: Islamorada-Key Largo (17.8 miles)

I never thought I’d say “Oh, it’s only 18 miles”.  However when deciding where to stay for the weekend, that’s exactly what I said.  We “only” biked 18 miles today, so we could spend the weekend in Key Largo. 

Unfortunately though, it was not the nicest ride.  For a large portion, there were sidewalks.  However, most of the sidewalks said “sidewalk closed.”  We rode on them anyway because there was no shoulder to go on.  I would consider this my first experience with mountain biking.  It was flat, of course, but these sidewalks were clearly closed for a reason.  They were extremely bumpy and rocky.  It was painful. 




However, as I said, the ride was only 18 miles, so it wasn’t that bad. 


After reaching our hotel we were able to walk (needed a break from biking) to a waffle house.  I’ve been hearing about waffle house nonstop for the past 3 years, so I definitely had to try it.  I can’t say I appreciate it as much as my dad and brother, but it was pretty good.
Back at the hotel we did some much needed laundry, and then wanted to go to the supermarket to get some food for tonight and tomorrow.  We called a taxi to take us there, and were very surprised when a stretch Cadillac (circa 1970’s) pulled up to the hotel.  Sure, during the day we are pedaling in 90 degree heat with everything we own on the back of our bikes.  But when we go to the supermarket, only the best will do. 

On the way back, we were picked up by a minivan, which had 370,000 miles on it.  That’s pretty impressive!

We look forward to relaxing tomorrow, by the pool and marina.  Have a great weekend!

Thanks for coming along for the ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment